Friday, September 12, 2014

If I hear the name Mommy one more time....

So I actually find it quite impressive how many times in a day I can hear the name Mommy. From the every first pitter patter of little feet in the morning, until the last head lays down on the pillow at night I hear that name. Even then, I am sure to hear one of call me for some miscellaneous reason. If I hear the name mommy one more time...It's just like on Sesame street where they have a special word of the day, except the special word is always Mommy at my house. I feel like I should get up and dance every time because someone said the magic word.

And it is funny because those kids have got me pegged. I'm a sucker for the name Mommy. They know that they can just say it and I will come running to see what the present need be. I even answer when other peoples children call the name Mommy. Sometimes at a park, school or even other peoples houses. You get it, you've done it too. Right Moms? It's the God-given sixth sense right before the seventh sense of chocolate proximity. It's Habit. Instinct. I'm a repeat offender. Just like clockwork. They call, I come running. Sure enough, they've got me right where they want me.

I have to laugh because I really don't want to even get into if I don't happen to answer them right away. Then the "Moms"  start flowing from their little mouth like a raging river bound and determined to make its way to the sea. It's gets louder and more frequent with every passing second that I don't answer, because you know, they won't come find me, they will just sit and wait calling my name until I show up in whatever room they may be in. I know you know what I'm talking about. Every mom has seen this scenario in action. If you haven't, you can test this little scientific fact and put in the history books. You'll find I'm right.

But this isn't necessarily a bad thing. A child knows they can call out to their mom and she will assist them with whatever need they have. She will be there in an instant to chat, care for, laugh with and love them in whatever situation. Even if her name is called 1000 times in a day, Moms are there. And in reality, I love hearing my name being called, it's a sign that I know I am needed, and even better, important in their life. A sign of trust when they look to you for guidance. The same is true for God. He sits there just waiting for us to call his name. He waits for the moment when we say we need him to calm our fears, hear our needs or simply for us to say I love you. Just as a child would expect from their Mom. If I learn anything from how many times in a day I hear anyone whether it be my kids or not, yell out the name Mom, it should be a reminder that I also should be doing the same to God. 

No comments:

Post a Comment