Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Why lip gloss..why?!

Oh boy. There it goes. As I stand in front of my washer, listening to the clanking, I realize my favorite tube of  lip gloss is tumbling around and around in sea of dirty water and dirty cloths. A sight I am all too familiar with since it seems I always find something hitch hiking in there on a monthly basis at least. Ugh,To save it, or not to save it, that is the question? Do I dare let it dry and use it after the laundry is done? Do I really want to press it up against my lips knowing that it's been swimming and bathing in dirty water, along with  soap and who knows what else while the washer does it's thing?  Yeah, I think not.                              

While I stand here I can think of a huge list of reasons that played a factor in how and why I forgot to check my pockets and grab that ever so luxurious tube of lip-awesomeness. Instead, I am choosing to focus on what can I learn from this all too common scene that I am sure takes place in just about     every home at some time or another. So many times I find items at the bottom of the washer that are dirty and need a good clean wash or rinse before I put them back in their respective places. Some things however, just can't even be washed and used again, such as my lip gloss. You can never get all the funk off of it. It may look all fabulous and put together on the outside, but you know on the inside it is crawling with filth and dirt that can never be taken away.

The same can be said for us. When we fill our minds with thoughts and images that are unclean, and hurtful we can never undo that. We litter our minds constantly with violent images, dirty words and envious thoughts towards others. So just as the lip gloss, on the outside we look all inviting and great, but on the inside, in our thoughts, we are dirty and covered in funk. Do we really want our minds filled with grime or do we want our minds filled with joyous thoughts?

The Lord commands us in Philippians 4:8New International Version (NIV)
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

While it is a bummer that I have forever lost my favorite tube of lip gloss, it has also been a blessing in helping me realize that not only do I have to change my laundry habits,(such as checking my pockets from now on) but that I also have to change my way of thinking. Be more like God and less like the lip gloss.
It is an awesome thought to know that God cares for us and wants the best for us. And may you ever be reminded of Philippians 4:8 when you are collecting items from the bottom of your washer..




1 comment:

  1. Found this to be funny, entertaining, and insightful! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete